Sunday, November 30, 2008

And Still the Flower Photos Come - LoL

I can't help myself - everytime I see a new flower in my garden I have to take a photo of it. I have a collection of different coloured Zygo Cacti in hanging baskets along the front patio, most of which flower around June however there is one which always flowers late October/early November with beautiful red flowers. It's just a shame that they only are in flower for a couple of weeks as they put on a terrific display.
.
I have also had some more Hippeastrums flowering. Most of my Hippis are just ones which self propogate and cross pollinate however I do have some bulbs which I purchased a few years ago which have totally different colour from the others which are just growing everywhere and anywhere in the garden. The white one is called Wedding Dance & would have to be one of my favourites.


My broms are starting to flower too at present. They have such varied and unusual flowers .... from large vibrant coloured flowers to tiny little ones in the middle of the water well of the leaves.

My Cape York Lily is flowering this year too. It seems to do well if we have a reasonable dry winter. They are a native of North Queensland and last year it didn't flower well because of the drought. In winter it dies back to nothing and it's not until the shoots start to appear in Spring that I know it has survived another year - LoL.

I love flowering Eucalypts. The sit there for ages with tight cups and then almost overnight burst open with these wonderful flowers.

We are still not completely sure of the name of this lily - some people call it a Christmas Lily and a Fire Lily. We have always called it "Old Bill's Lily" - after an old gentleman which we met at children in a caravan park in Cairns in far North Queensland about 33 years ago. He was sort of a retired care-taker and gave mum a couple of these bulbs. Since then they have multiplied & we have given dozens of plants away over the years. They seem to grow anywhere - I have them in pots and in the ground and this plant also dies down to nothing in winter so that you have no idea where they are planted until Spring when the leaves start to appear. Many a bulb has been dug up by mistake in the past - LoL.

1 comment:

MLDesign said...

1 love your blog, the flowers are wonderful....merci beaucoup pour ces tres belles photos...

Hi to Everyone

Hi to Everyone, thanks for browsing my blog. These are just my ramblings about nothing & everything happening in our little bit of Australia.

This year I will be sharing with you my love of paper craft.